Who Am I?
My name is Dave Krueger and I live in Huntsville, Alabama, USA. I am an electrical engineer by profession and do traditional darkroom photography strictly as a hobby. My engineering career started when I was 32, but I had my own darkroom by the time I was 16. While I briefly operated a part time commercial photography business catering to local technology companies, I no longer do any photography for hire and do not actively market my work. I shoot purely for enjoyment and aim to please an audience of one: me. I have occasionally exhibited my work in local venues and have had images presented in print and web based periodicals. The biggest display of my work is in my home where pictures hang on virtually every wall.
About half of my house is devoted to photography. I have a dedicated studio, darkroom, and frame shop and not a week goes by that I am not engaged in some photography related activity.
Traditional darkroom photography is both an art and craft. Darkroom technique can be learned quickly, but may take years to master and, because of the additional work, has a different dynamic than modern digital photography. Traditional photographers tend to shoot fewer frames, are limited by the materials in use, and use different image manipulation tools.
The images on these pages are straight unedited scans of darkroom prints made from 35mm, medium format, and 4×5 large format black and white negatives. Darkroom print manipulations are limited to contrast adjustment, cropping, and burning/dodging. I make 8″ x 10″ prints for scanning and 16″ x 20″ prints for framing. The 8x10s are commonly resin coated and the 16x20s are fiber based. All prints are stored in archival boxes and handled only with cotton gloves. Yes, I am obsessive.
Thank you for your interest in my photography.
I have additional work (originally exhibited on a Flickr account) posted at City Shadows website. Like the photos here, they are also scanned from black and white darkroom prints.
Non-photography related biographical details
- Grew up in Brookfield, Wisconsin
- Dropped out of high school in junior year and joined the US Navy at age 17
- 7 years in the Navy as an Electronics Technician in California, Texas, and Iceland (never stationed on a ship)
- Post Navy Education:
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from University of Nevada, Reno. GPA: 3.5, Paid for with GI Bill
- Post Navy jobs:
- Lynch Communications Systems (Reno, NV), Technician
- Itec (Huntsville, AL), Design Engineer
- Phoenix Microsystems (Huntsville, AL), Design Engineer
- Txport (Huntsville, AL), Design Engineer
- Adtran (Huntsville, AL), Design Engineer
- Now retired